Sunday, March 9, 2008

Different music for different things

Different music for different things
I saw this japanese animated film the other day. Childrens stuff. Very cool with lots of adventure, mystery and a good story. Anyway, the music for the credits caught my attention. A female japanese singer, not especially unique for a first listen, sang this japanese song. But somehow the melody caught my attention even though the arrangement and the singing was not so good, and it was like she didnt like the song she sang. Normally I would be interested if the voice was interesting somehow, or moving my spirits one way ar another. This was not at all the case. It was simply the melody in itself that had a quality, beyond any performance of it.

Its strange I think, because I always seems to think that music without heart behind it is - well - not so good. In this case it worked anyway. Hmm.. makes you wonder.

I found my old sitar in the basement today.Totally crapped and full of spiders and stuff.It will never be the same, but could be fun anyway. Came to think of some nonwesterners performances of classical music. In the Middleeast and India f.ex. There it sometimes looks like they think about something totally different than the music they are performing. Like they are not here when they play. Also makes you think why you dont get that feeling when you dont look at the performers but only listen to their playing. Pragmatism? Egos, and western music.

Ciao for now

G

No comments: